Thursday, January 19, 2012

Aimee's Wacky Day with the Chicken in the Kitchen

Chef's Table Kid, Aimee Kennedy, reports:

"For the Jan. 15 Birthstone theme: Blue Topaz photo image
 I didn't follow a recipe for my Blue Topaz Chick-A-Bobs per se. But here's what I did:

I sliced chicken breast cutlets into 1" squares and divided them equally among 3 bowls. Each bowl got a different treatment. The first was a mixture of flour, curry powder, salt and pepper. The second bowl was a cinnamon-honey marinade, which also included some white wine. The third chicken bowl was treated with some plain Greek yogurt, salt, pepper and cardamom.

I got out 2 more small bowls and filled one with pearl onions, white wine and crushed garlic. The other I filled with teeny tiny potatoes (about the size of the pearl onions) which I had just parboiled and cooled. The teeny tiny potatoes swam around in some seasoned white wine vinegar.

Then I took the bamboo skewers, which soaked in water for 30 minutes, and assembled each skewer like this: breaded chicken, teeny tiny potato, cinnamon-honey chicken, pearl onion, yogurt chicken. I broiled them for about 4 minutes on each side, and everything turned a lovely color except the breaded chicken, so I manually sauteed each one in hot olive oil on the griddle in order to color them up.

And that's when the smoke detectors went off. Smoke Detector Law Goes
Did I mention my 10-foot ceilings?"

No comments:

Post a Comment